The Song Celebration tradition began with the first Song Celebration organized by Johann Voldemar Jannsen and the “Vanemuine” society in Tartu on 18–20 June 1869. 51 male choirs and brass bands encompassing 845 singers and musicians gathered in Tartu. With a few exceptions, the number of singers has been growing gradually, reaching 30,000 singers in 2014.
The venue of the Song Celebration is the Tallinn Song Festival Grounds (Tallinna Lauluväljak). The Song Festival Grounds fit up to 100,000 people. The performers sing under an arch, that carries sound evenly over the whole spectator area. The Song Festival Grounds have hosted the celebration since 1960 and was the place, where the “singing revolution” took place in 1988.
One of the highlights of the Song and Dance Celebration is the procession, which passes through the main streets of Tallinn and reaches the Song Festival Grounds. All performers attend the procession while thousands of spectators cheer the singers and dancers along the 5 km route.
Concerts of the Song Celebration:
- 1st concert „To the Teacher“ on Saturday, 6 July from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- 2nd concert Sunday, 7 July from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Separate tickets for each concert range from 5 to 50 euros and will be available from the beginning of 2019.
The concerts of the Song Celebration will take place at the Song Festival Grounds in the open air. In case of rain, we kindly ask you to wear raincoats. Umbrellas are not permitted during the concerts.
The programme of the XXVII Song and XX Dance Celebration “My Fatherland is My Love”:
- Relay of the Flame 1.06 (Tartu) – 3.07 (Tallinn). The journey passes all Estonian counties in 33 days.
- Choral concert at St. Mary’s Church on Thursday, 20 June in Tartu
- Dance Celebration on Thursday, 4 July at 7 p.m. Kalev Central Stadium in Tallinn
- Dance Celebration on Friday, 5 July at 11.00 a.m. Kalev Central Stadium in Tallinn
- Dance Celebration on Friday, 5 July at 6 p.m. Kalev Central Stadium in Tallinn
- Folk music concert on Friday, 5 July at 2 p.m. Kalev Central Stadium in Tallinn
- Procession on Saturday, 6 July from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. central Tallinn to the Song Festival Grounds
- Song Celebration „To the Teacher“ on Saturday, 6 July at 7 p.m. Tallinn Song Festival Grounds
- Song Celebration on Sunday, 7 July at 2 p.m. Tallinn Song Festival Grounds
The Chief Conductor is.